The attorney will lead Legal Orientation Program (LOP) visits to detention centers in the DMV screening applicants for relief.
- Conducts Know Your Rights Presentations and Intakes in Spanish and English
- Conducts workshops for pro se applicants on different forms of relief from removal such as asylum, withholding of removal, protection under the Convention Against Torture, bond/voluntary departure and cancellation of removal;
- Oversees legal assistants, interns, and volunteers while on jail visits to ensure all jail visit components and goals are met;
- Participates in monthly LOP conference calls and bi-annual stakeholder meetings with ICE and detention facility personnel to address issues regarding legal access to and representation of detained adults.
- Assists legal staff to ensure follow-up messages and case updates are completed for all detained immigrants prior to each jail visit including those we are assisting pro se;
- Use shared databases effectively and communicate with team in a fast-paced environment.
- Important: Currently, each staff attorney leads two to three jail visits a month at facilities located between 1 hour to 3 hours outside of Washington D.C. At least once a month, the staff attorney stays overnight at one of our larger facilities.
- Mentoring pro bono cases;
- Represent detained merits and bond cases.
- Juris Doctorate degree required;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Proficiency in Spanish is preferred, but applications for non-Spanish speakers will be considered;
- Experience working with detained immigrants or other incarcerated populations;
- Experience and/or interest working with individuals with mental disabilities preferred, our organization will also provide training on working with this population;
- Strong litigation experience and/or oral advocacy skills;
- Strong legal research and writing skills;
- Demonstrated ability and/or willingness to zealously pursue new and untested legal theories; and
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure.
Please send resume and cover letter to HR@caircoalition.org with the title “LOP Attorney.”