The attorney will lead Legal Orientation Program (LOP) visits to detention centers in the DMV screening applicants for relief.
- Conducts Know Your Rights Presentations and Intakes in Spanish and English
- Conducts workshops for pro se applicants on different forms of relief from removal such as asylum, withholding of removal, protection under the Convention Against Torture, bond/voluntary departure and cancellation of removal;
- Oversees legal assistants, interns, and volunteers while on jail visits to ensure all jail visit components and goals are met;
- Participates in monthly LOP conference calls and bi-annual stakeholder meetings with ICE and detention facility personnel to address issues regarding legal access to and representation of detained adults.
- Assists legal staff to ensure follow-up messages and case updates are completed for all detained immigrants prior to each jail visit including those we are assisting pro se;
- Use shared databases effectively and communicate with team in a fast-paced environment.
- Important: Currently, each staff attorney leads two to three jail visits a month at facilities located between 1 hour to 3 hours outside of Washington D.C. At least once a month, the staff attorney stays overnight at one of our larger facilities.
- Mentoring pro bono cases;
- Represent detained merits and bond cases.
- Juris Doctorate degree required;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Proficiency in Spanish is preferred, but applications for non-Spanish speakers will be considered;
- Experience working with detained immigrants or other incarcerated populations;
- Experience and/or interest working with individuals with mental disabilities preferred, our organization will also provide training on working with this population;
- Strong litigation experience and/or oral advocacy skills;
- Strong legal research and writing skills;
- Demonstrated ability and/or willingness to zealously pursue new and untested legal theories; and
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, four weeks vacation plus all federal holidays. We are an LRAP eligible employer.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to HR@caircoalition.org with the subject "LOP Attorney". Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, early submissions are encouraged as the position is open immediately. No phone calls please.