The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition seeks a part-time Hotline Phone Operator to support staff members in the Detained Adult Program in the provision of legal services to noncitizen adults held in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody throughout Virginia and Maryland. The Hotline Phone Operator will be answering and fielding calls from detained immigrants to our legal staff and fielding messages to answer their questions.
The CAIR Coalition operates a hotline that directly connects immigrants in ICE custody with our staff. The hotline operates Mondays through Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm. The Hotline Phone Operator will be answering calls from detained immigrants each workday in English or Spanish and connecting them with staff members who are assisting them in their case, or with their pro bono attorney(s). They will also relay pre-written messages to immigrants who were recently intaked, in the English or Spanish language. They will be required to log into our phone database and additional databases and enter information of when someone calls and who they spoke to. The Hotline Phone Operator will be answering calls from immigrants who may be experiencing difficult emotional situations as a result of their detention or emergent legal situations and will have to clearly and empathetically trouble shoot these types of requests with support and assistance from our staff. They may be assigned additional clerical or administrative jobs that support the hotline or other legal services such as data entry, filing, or mailing, as needed.
The phone system operates remotely meaning a candidate does not need to be based in Washington D.C.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Must support the mission of CAIR Coalition of assisting immigrants access legal services who are people of diverse backgrounds and who are detained in correctional type settings.
- Fluent in Spanish
- Customer service skills including experience communicating with diverse audiences
- Ease with technology and proficient in a variety of basic computer programs such as Microsoft Word or Excel or Google Docs.
- Experience with or proven ability to learn new software or technology
- Strong ability to multi-task
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Quick learner and adaptable
Preferred, but not required skills:
- Fluency or proficiency in additional languages besides Spanish and English
- Experience with data entry and data tracking
- Previous experience working with detained individuals
Position Type: Part time. Must be available 20 hours a week primarily in the afternoons, though some morning hours may be scheduled on Mondays and Fridays.
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter, resume to HR@caircoalition.org with the words “Hotline Phone Operator” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
- Accepting applications on a rolling basis.
- Desire to fill the position by February 25, 2021.
EOE Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.