This position can be filled in Washington, DC or Baltimore offices.
The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition seeks a legal assistant in our detained adult program to support the provision of legal services to noncitizens held in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody throughout Virginia and Maryland, with primary focus in Virginia. The Detained Adult Program provides services ranging from know your rights workshops to direct representation to placement of individuals cases with pro bono counsel. The legal assistant supports all members of the Detained Adult Program staff in preparing for visits to area detention facilities, conducting research on individual cases, and facilitating the Program’s pro bono placement project. This position will report to a staff attorney in the Detained Adult Program team. Written and oral Spanish proficiency required; fluency preferred.
- Participates in and coordinates preparation for daylong visits to jails and detention facilities primarily located in Virginia and sometimes Maryland, to provide legal services to immigrant detainees.
- Performs Know Your Rights presentations and conducts individual intakes with detained adult immigrants in English and Spanish at facilities with a housing contract with ICE.
- Assists staff and another legal assistant in the logistics for the recruitment and training of volunteers to staff jail visits, the jail hotline, and translation/interpretation volunteer work.
- Participates in intake review, additional case research and preparing cases for pro bono placement. Provides follow-up after intakes to evaluate detainee eligibility for relief from removal, including legal research, securing criminal records and obtaining additional information from family members.
- Conducts administrative tasks, including database maintenance and reporting to funders.
- Bachelor’s degree
- No experience necessary, but preference will be given to those with knowledge of immigration issues, particularly as they pertain to removal and detention.
- Written and oral Spanish proficiency required; fluency preferred.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Driver’s license required.
- Ability to pass a government background check required.
- Must be willing to spend one night a month in Farmville, VA as part of a two-day jail visit
Salary and Benefits:
Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, four weeks of vacation, plus all federal holidays.
Please submit a cover letter, resume to HR@caircoalition.org with the words “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Accepting applications on a rolling basis.