The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is seeking undergraduate students with a passion for immigrants’ rights and a desire to learn more about the immigration detention system to be a part of our internship program for the Detained Adult Program.
We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2020. Our Summer Internship Program requires a commitment of at least 10 weeks, starting on May 26, 2020.
Internships are unpaid; however, CAIR Coalition can assist students seeking internship credit.
Full-time internships are available in our Washington D.C office.
DESCRIPTION OF INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
- Enter intakes and messages from jail visit onto our client database
- Assist on preparation and breakdown for weekly jail visit
- Staff the detention hotline
- Research political, economic, and social country conditions articles for pro se asylum applicants
- Prepare other informational materials distributed at each jail visit
- Prepare documents for filing in immigration court
- Go on a jail visit to one or more of five facilities we visit
- Provide training and support for volunteers staffing the detention hotline
- Participate in weekly review of intakes from jails/detention centers
- Attend training opportunities within the office
- Shadow trial prep and other various case follow up on a jail visit, through video teleconference, phone, or written messages
- Expand our country conditions database
- Observe immigration court hearings
- Must be 18 or older
- Spanish not required, but is a plus
- Ability to work well both individually and as part of team
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Detail oriented
To be considered for the internship, please submit the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “DAP Summer 2020 Undergraduate Internship”. Materials should be submitted in pdf format.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you are applying to more than one internship, please apply to each internship independently.
- A cover letter indicating your interest in the position, your preferred start and end dates, and your availability;
- A resume; and
- At least 2 references
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Friday, April 10, 2020