The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is seeking undergraduate students with a passion for advancing immigrants’ rights to be part of our internship program for the Detained Adult Program (DAP). Undergraduate Interns will provide invaluable administrative and programmatic support to our staff at the Detained Adult Program. This internship offers exposure to immigration law and current immigration issues.
We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2021. Our Summer Internship Program requires a commitment of at least 10 weeks, starting on May 25, 2021.
Internships are unpaid; however, CAIR Coalition can assist students seeking internship credit.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, interns will work remotely.
- Conducting individualized country conditions research for asylum cases;
- Assisting in the preparation and filing of applications for immigration relief;
- Assisting with interpretation and translation;
- Obtaining criminal and medical records;
- Communicating with clients and their family members via telephone;
- Tracking important court dates and deadlines;
- Tracking case outcomes and updating case summaries.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program;
- Ability to commit 15+ hours a week;
- Spanish fluency;
- Strong interest in human rights, social justice, and immigration rights issues;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Willingness to complete administrative work;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Ability to relate to and work with low-income clients with histories of trauma and/or previous interactions with the criminal justice system is a plus.
Given the remote nature of this internship, all interns must also have access to:
- A laptop or computer;
- Reliable internet; and
- A phone
How to Apply:
To be considered for the internship, please submit the following materials via email to email@example.com using the subject line “DAP Undergraduate Internship Summer 2021.” Materials should be submitted in pdf format.
- A cover letter indicating your interest in the position, your preferred start and end dates, and your availability;
- A resume;
- At least 2 references; and
- A writing sample.
If you are applying to more than one internship, please apply to each internship independently. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: March 19, 2021