The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is dedicated to providing free legal services to immigrants facing deportation in ICE and ORR detention facilities in the Washington D.C. area. Our Detained Unaccompanied Children Program is currently seeking an undergraduate intern to provide administrative and programmatic support to our detention site visit team. This internship offers exposure to immigration law, detention conditions, and current migration issues.
Legal experience is not required, but an interest in immigrants’ rights is necessary.
Start Date: January 27, 2020
Time commitment: Part-time or Full-time opportunities available
Location: 1612 K St NW, Washington D.C.
- Assist in preparation and breakdown of weekly detention visits
- Participate in the weekly review of immigration cases for new arrivals
- Support attorneys in preparing client cases
- Provide legal referrals to released minors
- Participate in detention site visits (contingent on intern availability and background check)
- Assist in preparing and submitting documents to the immigration court
- Observe immigration court hearings
- Attend training opportunities
- Must be 18 or older
- Spanish proficiency is required
- Interest in administrative work
- Attention to detail and self-starter attitude
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to pass a background check
- Experience working with low-income clients/children with histories of trauma is an advantage
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Spring DUCs Undergraduate Internship” to email@example.com. If you are applying to more than one CAIR Coalition internship this semester, please indicate which ones in your email and on your cover letter.