The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is dedicated to providing free legal services to immigrants facing deportation in ICE and ORR detention facilities in the Washington D.C. area. Our Detained Unaccompanied Children Program is currently seeking a full-time undergraduate summer intern to provide administrative and programmatic support to our detention site visit team. This internship offers exposure to immigration law, detention conditions, and current migration issues.
Legal experience is not required, but an interest in immigrants’ rights is necessary.
Start Date: May 26, 2020
Time commitment: Full-time
Location: 1612 K St NW, Washington D.C.
- Assist in preparation and breakdown of weekly detention visits
- Participate in the weekly review of immigration cases for new arrivals
- Support attorneys in preparing client cases
- Provide legal referrals to released minors
- Participate in detention site visits (contingent on intern availability and background check)
- Assist in preparing and submitting documents to the immigration court
- Observe immigration court hearings
- Attend training opportunities
- Must be 18 or older
- Spanish proficiency is required
- Interest in administrative work
- Attention to detail and self-starter attitude
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to pass a background check
- Experience working with low-income clients/children with histories of trauma is an advantage
How to Apply:
Send an email with the subject line “Summer DUCs Undergraduate Internship” to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Cover Letter detailing:
- Ideal Start/End Dates
- Description of Spanish Level
- Full-time availability
If you are applying to more than one CAIR Coalition internship this semester, please indicate which ones in your email and on your cover letter.