The Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights (CAIR) Coalition is dedicated to providing free legal services to immigrants facing deportation in ICE and ORR detention facilities in the Washington D.C. area. Our Detained Unaccompanied Children Program is currently seeking an undergraduate intern to provide administrative and programmatic support to our detention site visit team. This internship offers exposure to immigration law, detention conditions, and current migration issues.
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2020. Our Fall Internship Program requires a commitment of at least twelve weeks, starting on September 8, 2020.
Internships are unpaid; however, CAIR Coalition can assist students seeking internship credit.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all Fall 2020 internships will be remote. It is our goal to make all internships with the Detained Unaccompanied Children’s (DUCs) Program as valuable an experience as possible for you. Please note, it is CAIR Coalition’s policy that background checks be completed prior to an intern being able to interact one-on-one with minor clients. Understanding the limited access to fingerprinting given the current pandemic, combined with limitations on our ability to supervise and train interns virtually, CAIR Coalition’s remote internships will have less direct client contact than an on-site internship.
- Assist in preparation and breakdown of weekly detention visits
- Participate in the weekly review of immigration cases for new arrivals
- Support attorneys in preparing client cases
- Provide legal referrals to released minors
- Assist in preparing and submitting documents to the immigration court
- Attend training opportunities
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Ability to commit 15+ hours a week;
- Spanish fluency;
- Willingness to complete administrative work;
- Ability to work independently and as part of team;
- Ability to pass a background check;
- Experience working with low-income clients/children with histories of trauma is a plus.
Given the remote nature of this internship, all interns must also have access to:
- A laptop or computer;
- Reliable internet; and
- A phone
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this internship, please apply via our Candidate Portal: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3093312
You will be asked to upload the following materials in .pdf format:
- A cover letter indicating your interest in the position, your preferred start and end dates, and your availability;
- A resume;
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you are applying to more than one internship, please apply to each internship independently.