CAIR Coalition conducts regular visits to government detention facilities in Virginia and Maryland to provide adult detainees with information about immigration detention, their legal rights, options for fighting deportation, and general information about the deportation process.
We require that all new volunteers must attend a volunteer training session before volunteering on a jail visit.
- When: jail visits are all day affairs, leaving DC around 5:30am and returning that evening at 8:00pm or later
- Where: detention facilities in VA and MD, up to 3 hours away from DC
What makes a good jail visit volunteer:
- Spanish speakers, as well as speakers of other languages are highly desired
- Volunteers who can come on multiple visits are preferred
- No members of the media or government are allowed
- No knowledge of immigration law is required
How to get started:
- For specific dates and availability, once you have attended a training, please reach out to Volunteer Coordinator, Jessica Depies at firstname.lastname@example.org.