CAIR Coalition engages in advocacy projects to advance the human and civil rights of the immigrant communities we serve.
Our advocacy and impact work is guided by three primary principles.
- Our work must be informed by the real life experiences of the immigrant clients we serve
- We believe in the importance of collaborative engagement with partner organizations and immigrant communities to best advance our shared goals
- Our efforts must not be constrained within the walls of the immigration detention system - we must help immigrants remain outside the immigration detention system and assist when they leave the detention system
In particular, CAIR Coalition’s advocacy and impact efforts focus on:
- Disrupting the pipeline that flows from the criminal justice system into the immigration detention and deportation system
- Fighting for the rights of unaccompanied children facing prolonged detention upon arrival in the United States
- Mitigating the disproportionate and unnecessarily harsh consequences of involvement in the criminal justice system for noncitizens
- Ensuring access to counsel and due process rights for adult immigrants facing detention and removal proceedings
Photo by Steven Rubin