We provide free immigration legal assistance to detained immigrant adults and children who are facing removal from the United States in immigration court proceedings. We provide services to immigrants detained in the states of Maryland and Virginia (there are no detention centers in Washington, D.C).

To qualify for free representation the adult or child immigrant must be detained and their household income must be under 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.

If you have a family member or loved one who is detained, simply email or call us to add him or her to our priority jail visit list. On the next visit to the jail, we will call to speak with your family member or loved one and conduct an intake. The intake is the first step in determining if we can help your family member or loved one. We do not conduct walk-in consultations.


Call: 202-331-3320; extension 7027
Call: 202-870-5843

We provide services to adults who are detained by the Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE) and children who are detained by the Office of Refugee and Resettlement (ORR). Below is a list of facilities we visit.

Facilities Housing Adults:

  1. Farmville Detention Center (Farmville, VA)
  2. Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail (Williamsburg, VA)
  3. Howard County Detention Center (Jessup, MD)
  4. Frederick County Adult Detention Center (Frederick, MD)
  5. Worcester County Jail (Snow Hill, MD)

Facilities Housing Children:

Information about detention centers where children are housed is not available for public consumption or distribution.

To Locate a Detained Adult:

To confirm that an adult immigrant is detained and locate his detention location, use the ICE Online Detainee Locator system by entering their basic biographic information. For more information, click here.


To Locate a Detained Child:

To locate a child immigrant in detention you can call the ORR National Call Center at 1-800-203-7001. For information click here.

If you have a family member or loved one who is detained in another state, we can refer you to a local area nonprofit that may be able to help you. Just email or call us at the contact information provided above.

If you are an immigrant who is not detained but need legal assistance, visit the following websites for a list of organizations or private attorneys in your area who may be able to help you:

List of Nonprofit Organizations:

List of Private Immigration Attorneys:

The experience of being arrested and placed in immigration detention is profoundly frightening and confusing, both for the immigrant subjected to detention and those with friends or family members in immigration detention.

If you have a friend or family member in immigration detention, click here to read our series of practical steps that you can take to help them with their immigration case.

If you believe that your civil rights or civil liberties have been violated by an immigration official you can file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties of the Department of Homeland Security:

  • The Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties investigates complaints in areas such as conditions of detention, discrimination, racial profiling, violations of confidentiality, abuse of authority or color of law, and violations of due process.
  • Complaints are accepted in languages other than English.
  • You may also file a complaint on behalf of someone else. 

For a copy of the complaint form and information on where to file it, click here.

Sign Up for Email Updates