Do I need to be barred in Virginia or Maryland to take a case?

For most of the pro bono cases that CAIR Coalition places with volunteer attorneys, you need only be barred somewhere in the United States. This is because the majority of our cases are adjudicated in immigration court. To appear in immigration court, an attorney must be a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of any state, possession, territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or the District of Columbia.

The exception to this is a unique type of children’s case known as Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS). As an SIJS case requires an appearance in state family court, a bar membership in Virginia or Maryland (depending on the child’s residency) is required.

Story Type


Sign Up for Email Updates